Nineteen students attended this year's residency, most of us having never met one another. IHE is an online program. We do have virtual sessions in every class and use that as a way to get to know one another. However, it is not like spending a week immersed with everyone. We were 19 strangers on day one and by the end of the week, we left as family. We built trusting and respectful relationships, relationships that will last even through our distance and differences.
- How to be in a room with 20+ strangers and embrace our diverse backgrounds, education styles, passions, and dreams
- How not to just think about a single problem and solution, but to inspect the systems behind the problems and think of ways to cause lasting and sustainable change
- How to listen more carefully and to understand what is truly being said and asked
- How hard, and at the same time how easy, it is to role play
- How important it is to take care of yourself
- How we all have something to teach each other
- How to take in unsettling and sometimes disturbing information, but know without a doubt that we (I) can make a difference in creating a compassionate, just, and humane world