With Italy in mind, I made a slow cooked minestrone. It is a hearty soup packed with green beans, kidney beans, navy beans, zucchini, carrots, celery, and tomatoes.
I also sprinkled a little bit of vegan parm cheese shreds on top upon serving.
I love this soup for a blustery fall evening or a family potluck. Everyone will enjoy this soup.
• 1 tsp olive oil
• 6 cups vegetable broth
• 1/2 large onion, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 ribs celery, diced
• 2 carrots, diced
• 2 (14.5 ounce) can dice tomatoes, no salt added
• 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, no salt added or low sodium, drained and rinsed
• 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, no salt added or low sodium, drained and rinsed
• 1 cup green beans, cut into bite-size pieces
• 1 small zucchini, cut into bite-size pieces
• 1 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
• 1/2 cup dried pasta, ditalini, elbow, or another small noodle
• Vegan parmesan cheese for garnishing, optional
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and allow that to heat to for 30 seconds. Next, add the diced onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes until slightly tender and fragrant, stirring frequently.
2. While the onion mixture is cooking, add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, kidney beans, white beans, green beans, zucchini, and Italian seasoning to the 6-quart (or larger) slow cooker.
3. Once the onion mixture is slightly tender and fragrant, add the mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine all of the ingredients.
4. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
5. With 30 minutes cooking time left for the soup, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook dried pasta in the boiling water, occasionally stirring until cooked through but firm to the bite, 8 minutes; drain.
6. Stir the cooked pasta into the minestrone; cook another 10 minutes to allow the flavors to combine one last time. Ladle into a bowl and garnish with vegan parmesan cheese.
*If you do not have a slow cooker, use a heavy bottom stock pot and follow the directions 1 - 3. Instead of slow cooking, cook on the stovetop for 45-60 minutes. Cook the pasta according to direction 5 and 6.