I purchased the InstantPot almost two years ago, and I have used it almost every single day since then.
You don't need a pressure cooker for this recipe, but it makes it very easy and quick!*
1 tablespoon vegan butter
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup lemon juice (2 to 3 lemons)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, divided
1 bag of frozen Beyond Meat Chicken Strips, slightly thawed and cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
1 (15-ounce) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup cashew cream - optional* see note
Salt to taste
1. Heat the butter in a pressure cooker over medium-high heat (regular saute setting on an electric pressure cooker). Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and then cook for 30-60 seconds. Add the cumin, paprika, coriander, turmeric, and black pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for about 30 seconds. Add diced tomatoes, 1/4 cup of the chopped cilantro, vegetable stock, and the Beyond Meat Chicken Strips.
2. Stir to combine and then place the lid on the pressure cooker. Close and seal the lid and set the pressure cooker to high heat. Once pressure is reached, cooked for 10 minutes. If you are using an electric pressure cooker, set it to manual, high pressure, and 10 minutes. It will do the rest!
3. Allow the pressure to come down naturally for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure.
4. Remove lid, being careful to point the lid away from you, to ensure the steam does not burn you. Next, add the cashew cream, if using, drained and rinsed chickpeas, and lemon juice. Simmer (or low saute function on an electric pressure cooker), frequently stirring until sauce has thickened. Season with salt to taste.
5. Serve immediately alongside rice or a baked potato. Garnished with the remaining chopped cilantro.
*Note - You can make cashew cream by adding 1 cup of raw cashews, 1/2 cup of water, one clove of garlic, juice of 1/2 of a lemon, and a pinch of salt to a blender container. Blend the cashews until smooth and creamy. You may need to add a little more water as you blend to keep the blades turning. You can use the cashew cream sauce in this recipe instead of the heavy cream called for in the original recipe. It will help the sauce thicken and become creamy. If you do not have a high-powered blender, soak the cashews in hot water for 2-3 hours.
*Note - If you do not have a pressure cooker, you can cook this on the stovetop in a heavy-bottom stock pot. Follow the instructions as they are, and then cook for 20-25 minutes over medium heat. The Beyond Meat Chicken Strips are pre-cooked, as are the chickpeas. The longer you cook this recipe on the stovetop, the better the flavors will meld together.