I was hungry and hadn't been to the grocery store in almost a week, but I wanted to find something creative to make.
I threw open the cabinet doors and started pulling out everything I thought sounded good. I mean, when does taco seasoning not sound good? I am always telling my husband that can make a taco out of anything.
The cornbread was calling to me, and I decided to throw everything else that I pulled out of the cabinets into one pot while the cornbread was cooking. Bam! It was one of the best meals of summer!
- 1 can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 can corn, drained
- 1 cup of dried textured vegetable protein, or 10-16oz premade vegan beef crumbles
- 1 package taco seasoning (I use Simple Organic Mild Taco Seasoning)
- Vegan sour cream for topping
- Shredded vegan cheese for topping
- 1 batch of cornbread batter (I used Bob's Red Mill GF Cornbread mix, made with two Ener-G eggs, and almond milk)
How To Make:
- Preheat the waffle maker on medium (or preheat the oven if you will be baking the cornbread)
- Rehydrate the textured vegetable proteins with 1 1/2 cups of very hot water and 1/2 of the taco seasoning. Let the TVP sit in hot water and taco seasoning for about 10 minutes to rehydrate.
- Preheat a large skillet or pot over medium heat and combine all of the ingredients (including the rest of the taco seasoning), minus the cornbread batter, in the pan.
- Stir frequently and cook the mixture until heated through and all of the ingredients look well combined (around 10 - 15 minutes). Season with salt & pepper to taste. The filling can be kept over low heat until the cornbread is done.
- While the filling is cooking, cook your cornbread batter on the preheated and greased waffle maker. The cooking time will depend on the consistency of your batter. Start checking after 3-5 minutes. Gluten-free cornbread is usually very dense, but it surprisingly cooks very quickly. You can also bake the cornbread in the oven and serve the filling on top of a sliced open piece of cornbread.
- Top the cornbread waffle or slice of cornbread with a generous portion of the tamale pie filling, a sprinkle of shredded vegan cheese, and a spoonful of vegan sour cream.